Built from local ironstone and topped with brick, the Windmill is a five-story tower mill circa 1814. It has an ogee cap and fantail. Originally with six patent sails, known as a Six Arm Lincolnshire Cross. In 2016 the Windmill moved into it’s new phase of restoration The Living Mill, aided by European and Lottery funding.
The Mill ceased grinding corn (by then, powered by an engine) in 1952 but continued with cattle feed until 1960. It is one of only four six-sailed windmills remaining in the country and is now a grade 2 listed mill.
In 1985 Nigel Moon – miller and owner of Whissendine Windmill was instrumental in the restoration as it was Nigel who rebuilt the cap of our mill bringing it to 2016 and the next phase of restoration The Living Mill, aided by European and Lottery funding.
Nigel has been a dear friend to Wymondham Windmill and has now lovingly restored his own mill with the help of English Heritage. Nigel mills his own flour on a commercial basis and his fresh milled flour can be purchased from the Tearoom.
Vincent and Sarahjayne purchased the property in 2011 and would one day hope to see the sails restored. Since buying the mill they have replaced the rotten front doors and purchased 45lts of lime mortar for the internal walls, paid for by the kindness of visitors to the Windmill using the donation box near the mill entrance. In 2016 the Windmill moved into it’s next phase of restoration The Living Mill, aided by European and Lottery funding.
The projects over the next few years will be to replace all 11 windows to the original design allowing for more light to enter the tower and to make it water tight, replace damaged stone, redress the outer stonewalls, repair and paint the cap, and replace the fan tail enabling the cap to rotate as it was designed to do.